It is absolutely essential that you make adequate preparations for your first tuition session with any client. Once we have provided you with full client details, you are required to contact the client within 24 hours to arrange the first tuition session.
The majority of your preparation will be dependent on the details collected in your first telephone call with the client.
First impressions count, so it is important to conduct yourself in a professional manner on the telephone, remembering to speak clearly, be patient and most importantly to listen to the student or their parent. Make sure you confirm and obtain the following information:
1. When and where: your first tutorial session is to take place. Often the parent will have two or three suitable days an times, it is important that you make a note of this and confirm the date and time as soon as possible.
2. Logistics – Is there parking? Is the parent going to be in the house if you are tutoring a minor? Or another responsible adult?
3. Client details – You will have already received these details from our consultants but it is worth confirming: the age of the student, the subject they need help with, the level and goals they are working towards, and details of the relevant examination board so you can check the syllabus before your first lesson.
4. Student Goals – determine the goals of the client. Are they aiming for an entrance examination to a specific school? Do they need to improve their predicted grade in a subject? Why do they feel they need a tutor? What is the student’s current attainment? What grades are they trying to achieve?
5. Resources – Which books are available at home? Inform or remind the client of any resources that they may need to purchase.
The aim of this initial conversation is for the client to confirm that you are the right tutor for them and to schedule the first session.
From this call you should have obtained enough information to prepare adequately for your first lesson. You must contact WISE Tutors to confirm that you have held your first tuition session with the student.
You may do this by emailing email@example.com , with your name, the student name, postcode and the date of the first session.
IMPORTANT – If you cannot get hold of a client within 24 hours of being given the client details YOU MUST email to let us know.